Keeping your pet safe at Christmas

aadogIt’s the most wonderful time of the year, tis the season to be jolly and lots of fa la la la las.  Yes, it’s nearly Christmas and our Now That’s What I Call Christmas CD has been on repeat for a while now.

At this time of year we see more pets brought in due to illnesses or injuries because of something they have chewed or eaten.  We thought we would provide a few hints and tips on keeping your pets safe over the Christmas period.


Christmas is an exciting time for everyone. There will be lots of people coming round, decorations going up and there may be fireworks at New Year.  Many pets can become stressed due to all the hustle and bustle and noise. One thing you can do is make sure there is a place your pet can go to get away from it all. We don’t mean a spa retreat in the country, but a quiet space where they can go to calm down. You can also read our blog on keeping your pet relaxed by clicking HERE. This will offer more ideas


At Christmas there is food everywhere. However, a lot of it can be bad for pets so you need to keep an eye out to make sure they don’t eat it.  Here are a few things to be aware of:

Chocolate – (you can read our blog on why it is bad HERE) –

Christmas pudding / Christmas cake / Mince Pies – These could contain grapes, raisins, sultanas and currants which can be toxic to animals and could cause kidney failure in dogs.

Chicken / Turkey bones – Do not let your pet eat these as they could splinter and get stuck in their throat.

Others foods to keep away from pets – Garlic, onions, coffee, alcohol, mouldy or spoiled food.


If you want to get a real tree try and get one that doesn’t shed its needles.  If you can’t get one make sure you hoover up every day.

Pets love shiny things. Try and keep tinsel and baubles out of reach.  If tinsel is ingested it can potentially block the intestines and can only be removed by surgery.   Broken baubles can cause various problems.  You pet could choke on pieces or, if swallowed, could block the intestine. Also sharp edges can cut their paws or other parts of the body. If you have lights, keep cables tied away so they cannot be chewed. Overall, try not to have things hanging low to tempt your pet.  If you have lights that are hanging within reach your pet could become tangled. Anything pointy or sticking out could be a hazard. Last year we had a decoration stuck in an eye. You can read about that HERE

Ruby 2Ruby1Ruby 4







Holly and mistletoe can be poisonous so make sure they are out of reach of pets and children.

If you have a pet that likes to climb make sure your tree is stable and won’t fall over.  

Other dangers

A big problem we see at this time of year is anti-freeze poisoning.  You can read about the problems and symptoms caused by clicking HERE.

Now the weather is cold there may be times when the roads get gritted.  When you take your dog for a walk, make sure there is nothing trapped in their feet.  Give their paws a wash and remove any trace of rock salt before they lick it off.

Keep your pets warm if the weather is really cold.  Older pets will feel it more so get them a coat. You can read more about looking after your pets during winter by clicking HERE.

That’s just a few things to consider over the Christmas period. Most pet owners will use common sense and already know these things, but it doesn’t hurt to remind people.  As always, if you have any questions regarding this subject please call us at the clinic and someone will be happy to help. Alternatively, leave a comment on our Facebook page and someone will get back to you.